Hello, EVR employers of CPA Candidates!
We are the Practical Experience team at CPA Alberta, and we wanted to introduce ourselves and provide information on the practical experience requirements and how to assist your candidates when verifying their reporting.
Our role is to oversee the experience component of the CPA Certification Program. The CPA Certification Program is comprised of the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP), the Common Final Examination (CFE), and the practical experience requirements. The CPA Western School of Business (CPAWSB) administers CPA PEP and the CFE, whereas CPA Alberta oversees the practical experience component.
Candidates can gain experience through either the Pre-approved Program Route (PPR), the Experience Verification Route (EVR), or a combination of the two. In PPR, experience reporting for candidates is streamlined as we have worked with the employer to develop an approved training plan. On the other hand, EVR allows candidates to work for a variety of employers and in a number of roles—not just those pre-approved by the profession. However, experience reporting in EVR can be less streamlined than PPR as we rely on candidates to provide us with details of their experience. More information on these two routes can be found on our website: www.cpaalberta.ca/PracticalExperience.
Candidates are required to report their experience to CPA Alberta at prescribed intervals; their reporting should outline their duties as it relates to the CPA competencies.
Candidates in EVR are required to have their reports verified by their supervisor—this is where you come in, if you are their supervisor. At this point, you will receive an email from our system asking you to verify their experience. The email outlines the steps; but overall, we rely on you to verify the accuracy of candidates’ reported information. It’s important that you confirm that they performed the duties they outlined and worked on the dates indicated on their report(s).
You are not required to comment on a candidate’s proficiency levels. Every report is assessed by a Reviewer who is a CPA. The Reviewer’s role is to gain an understanding of the candidate’s experience and assess their proficiency. They provide revisions to the candidate, when and where necessary, and once this revision process is completed, you will be asked to verify their report once more to ensure the updated information remains accurate.
- Why is my candidate asking for more complex/different work?
- When we assess a candidate’s experience, we will outline where they require additional growth in order to meet the experience exit requirements. They may ask you for different work in order to achieve those requirements.
- What are my requirements as an EVR employer?
- There are no specific requirements, and we appreciate all the support you provide. Verifying their experience and being open to providing additional opportunities are valuable in helping candidates achieve their designation.
- I want to help my candidate receive the appropriate experience to complete their practical experience, but I do not fully understand the requirements.
- Please reach out to the team and we would be happy to help. You can reach us at PracticalExperience@cpaalberta.ca.
Thank you for your support in training CPA candidates! If you have any questions or would like information on becoming a Pre-approved Program Route Provider, please contact us!
CPA Alberta Practical Experience Team