With a busy holiday season approaching, and even busier “busy season” following that, many CPAs are looking for ways to improve their wellness at work. A healthy team means more productivity, better working environment, and more engaged and positive staff.
CPA Assist has put together a few helpful ideas and provided a few highlights to help you stay mentally and physically well during this upcoming hectic time of year.
During this time of year, it is important to remember that physical activity has benefits for mental acuity as well as physical well being. The following tips will help you stay on track!
- Book a FREE fitness consultation with CPA Assist (call 1.855.596.4222 to book)
- Raise accountability and enjoyment by making physical activity a group goal (some suggestions include creating a team challenge or team reward chart, or hosting a fitness challenge)
- Schedule time to work out/ exercise in your calendar
- Organize a walking group/running group
- Hold standing or walking meetings
Choose healthy snack options
Holiday treats are festive, and doughnuts always seem to make a meeting a little more manageable, but you know what they say about too much of a good thing! Think of food as fuel for your body and be conscious of choosing and encouraging nutritional food options. Suggestions to move to increased nutritional value of food in the workplace could include asking that snacks be a healthy option (e.g., fruit and yogurt), instead of the traditional doughnuts, or hosting health-themed potlucks.
For more healthy tips and recipes, try CPA Assist’s “Healthy Eating 9-5” webinar
Check-ins and reminders
It’s important to be mindful of your approach to stress and wellness: keeping it at the forefront of your mind will encourage you to focus on your wellness. Some ideas to consider are:
- Share stress relief methods that you can send out in an email to your network once a week (5 minute meditation, music, other articles you find interesting)
- Encourage time for self-care and share your own plans for a self-care routine
- Celebrate/acknowledge milestones along the way
- Taking advantage of some valuable resources, such as the CPA Assist online webinar on how to lead when you are feeling burnt out or CPA Alberta’s seminar on Time management for the 21st Century Professional
Remember, if you are feeling burnt out and need support, call CPA Assist at 1.855.596.4222.
Jennifer Moss, who led CPA Assist’s recent provincial speaker series and is the author of “Unlocking Happiness at Work”, reminded us the importance of saying thank you and expressing gratitude for the work and effort of others. These small appreciations foster a positive work environment. When we take a moment to acknowledge the work and efforts of others, it instills value confidence in our colleagues. As well, these small expressions build trust and foster respectful relationships.
Making gratitude part of your workplace culture could include:
- Building a gratitude board
- Writing a thank you note once a week
- Being more mindful and saying “thank you”
Lighten up the mood
Remember that appropriate humour and laughter during times of stress is extremely important. Humour and laughter energize employees and drives creativity and innovation, and can lift people up and build trust and relationships. Try sharing stories and jokes digitally or in person, which can boost culture and environment, or try introducing theme days in the office (Funny Hat Day, “Pie Day”) to lend some brevity to the environment.
If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health issues, don’t be afraid to reach out. CPA Assist, the profession’s health and wellness program, provides confidential counselling to Alberta CPAs, candidates, and their immediate families. It is designed to help CPAs, candidates and their immediate families address stress, burnout, mental illness, addictive behaviours, substance abuse and other personal or professional issues in order to ensure their well-being and the well-being of their communities, the accounting profession, and the public. 24-hour confidential support (toll-free): 1.855.596.4222 | cpa-assist.ca