A meeting of the CPA Alberta Board was held in Calgary on September 26, 2019. Below is a summary of the main discussion items/decisions from the meeting.
- New Board Chair Darrell Jones FCPA, FCMA welcomed Board members and noted that he is honoured to serve as the new Chair. (He officially became Chair at the CPA Alberta Annual General Meeting held earlier that day.)
- The Board welcomed two new Board members, Dawn Sauvé CPA, CA and Vincent Vavrek FCPA, FCA, CGA, both of whom were attending their first meeting after having been elected in the general member vote held earlier in September. As well, the Chair congratulated John Fuller CPA, CA and Ruth McHugh FCPA, FCMA, returning Board members who were each elected to a second term.
- A report on the recent election was presented on behalf of Chief Scrutineer Gil Hermanns FCPA, FCGA. In his report, Mr. Hermanns noted that he found the election to have been held fairly, with no concerns noted.
- The Board discussed the low voting rate for this election. Just over 5% of eligible Alberta CPAs cast ballots. The Board asked management to explore methods to increase awareness of and interest in the 2020 election, which will be held in May.
- The Chair noted that the national review of the profession’s Collaboration Accord is continuing. The accord is held among CPA Canada and the provincial/territorial regulatory bodies. The Chair said that former CPA Alberta Chair Curtis Palichuk FCPA, FCA will continue to serve as CPA Alberta’s representative on the national task force leading the accord review.
- CPA Alberta CEO Rachel Miller provided updates on a number of issues and provided an overview of recent activities and initiatives.
- In his capacity as Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee, Damian Zapisocky CPA, CA, the new Vice Chair, provided a report from the Audit and Risk Committee.
- An external expert joined the meeting for one hour to present ideas and strategies related to board succession planning.
- The Board appointed/re-appointed members to the CPA Alberta Practice Review and Registration committees, and named Board members to various Board committees.
The next scheduled meeting of the CPA Alberta Board is December 11, 2019.