The Board of Directors of CPA Alberta held a regular meeting on March 7, 2019, in Edmonton. Below is a recap of significant decisions/discussions at the meeting.
- In his Chair’s Report, Chair Curtis Palichuk FCPA, FCA commented on the tremendous success of the 2019 CPA convocation events held in Calgary and Edmonton. At the convocations, a record 802 successful CFE writers were acknowledged and celebrated.
- The Chair of the CPA Education Foundation, Bruce Picton CPA, CA, joined the meeting to provide an update to the CPA Alberta Board on the activities and recent successes of the Foundation. In his presentation, Mr. Picton thanked the CPA Alberta Board and all Alberta CPAs for their ongoing support of the Foundation and its mandate, and spoke about the value of predictable funding for the Foundation’s activities.
- The Board heard a presentation from Jim Downie FCPA, FCMA, Chair of CPA Alberta’s Award Review Committee. Mr. Downie provided an overview of the process followed by the Committee to recommend recipients of CPA Alberta’s Fellowship recognition, Distinguished Service Awards and Early Achievement Awards. He also presented the names of recommended award recipients for 2019. The Board approved all of the Committee’s recommendations; as a result, 15 new Fellowships, 10 Distinguished Service Awards, and 12 Early Achievement Awards will be presented at the 2019 CPA Alberta Elevate Awards Gala on June 8. In addition, the Board named two Lifetime Achievement Award recipients for 2019. (Note: Recipients of all awards will be announced shortly by CPA Alberta.)
- The Board named Gil Hermanns FCPA, FCGA as its 2019 Chief Scrutineer to oversee the 2019 Board election member vote.
- The Board approved the 2019/20 CPA Alberta business plan, budget and fee schedule.
- The Board approved a number of administrative changes to CPA Alberta policies. The Board also directed that recent proposed changes to the CPA Rules of Professional Conduct be presented to the membership for ratification in 2019.
The next scheduled meeting of the CPA Alberta Board is June 20, 2019.