Each year, thousands of Alberta CPAs take the time to volunteer. Their efforts and talents make a huge difference to both the profession and the wider community. We always have a need for volunteers, both within the profession and to fulfill requests from community organizations. Below are a few opportunities from organizations looking for volunteers with accounting and finance expertise.
Community Ambassadors need Board Members and an IT Guru
The Community Ambassadors aim to help non-profit organizations, ranging from small to large and complex, by helping them connect with the skills-based CPA volunteers they need. These sectors include poverty reduction, health, and support for children, addictions recovery, the arts, animals, and the environment.
Over the past five years, the Community Ambassadors has grown into something amazing. The organization’s initial goal was to connect Chartered Professional Accounts with non-profit groups in Calgary, and in 2016 they expanded to Edmonton. The Community Ambassadors have helped numerous charities find qualified volunteers, and are very proud of this accomplishment. In the pursuit of continuing their success, they want to ensure the group has energetic leadership to benefit our communities.
The Marigold Seniors Recreation Society of Edmonton is looking for a Treasurer
Marigold Seniors’ Recreation is part of Alberta 55 Plus, which coordinates provincial playoffs of the Provincial Seniors’ Games. This role is ideal for a retired CPA, as you are required to attend board meetings held between 9:30 am until noon.
- Writing cheques
- Keeping the books and preparing monthly statements
- Preparing the Alberta Gaming Reports for the casino fund transactions.
There is no fundraising require. Interested in applying? Contact Ray McMurray at email@example.com
This volunteer opportunity was originally posted by the Alberta Community Ambassadors.
CPA Alberta Tax Clinic Program Volunteers
The 2017 Tax Clinics will run March through mid-April and are currently looking for volunteers. Just a few hours can make all the difference. The CPA Alberta Tax Clinic Program has various openings for volunteers throughout the tax season. Positions can include:
- Tax Clinic Reviewer – A tax clinic reviewer is responsible for assisting with troubleshooting on-site, answering volunteer questions, and performing quality assurance on completed tax returns.
- Tax Clinic Phone Support Volunteer – Phone support volunteers will act as an additional resource to volunteers who are completing returns on-site to answer questions related to completing personal tax returns, should the need arise. The number of individuals who sign up will determine how many days to which each volunteer is assigned.
- Tax Clinic Mentor for Students – Co-op Students and university accounting students are eligible to volunteer provided they have a qualified accountant to accompany them. Unfortunately, quite often these students do not know a CPA and therefore cannot volunteer.
For more information or to sign up as a Tax Clinic Program volunteer, download the Volunteer Guide.
SkirtsaFire HerArts Festival (Edmonton) Seeking Board Members
Looking to help make a difference in increasing the number of women in the arts? SkirtsaFire HerArts Festival is recruiting new board members and is looking for individuals with expertise in the areas of accounting and finance.
Consider joining the Board of Directors of SkirtsAfire herArts Festival! A local non-profit, charitable organization group established in 2013 that showcases, empowers and supports women in the arts. Through their yearly SkirtsAfire herArts Festival, the organization creates a platform for female artists to share their work in a variety of art forms. They present powerful and insightful stories to a diverse audience that is eager to be moved by passionate performances and exhibitions. With a strong focus on the Alberta Avenue community, the festival contributes to the revitalization of this up-and-coming arts and dining district.
SkirtsAfire herArts Festival is now inviting applications for members of the Board of Directors. In addition to working with a great group of women, you’ll support the festival through fundraising initiatives and provide strategic leadership and oversight to the organization. Use your existing skills or discover new ones as you aid us in presenting thought-provoking, moving, professional artistic performances and exhibitions. The festival continues to grow – be a part of the only Edmonton festival dedicated to supporting women in the arts.